Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

Flower of Scotland: Chance or Intent?

Speaking of Scotland, I'd always been vaguely aware that that other national anthem, O Flower of Scotland, more than a little resembles Verdi's Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves from 'Nabucco'. The opening phrase is more or less synonymous.

I'd also pretty much assumed it was a steal, but on closer thought perhaps it's intentional. The Chorus is a lament for/by an oppressed people in bondage, yearning for their homeland. Surely no coincidence. Yet a quick Google search of a link got no results. Can I really be the first to twig? Did the Corries mean it or was it entirely unconscious given the subject matter? Or is it widely known yet just not mentioned tacitly?

I think we should be told. By whom, I don't know. And who 'we' are I'm not sure either.

Helpful, huh?>

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?